Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Short Reaction to "The UX Design Education Scam"

In a recent post on Design View (http://www.andyrutledge.com/the-ux-design-education-scam.php), Andy Rutledge lambasts most "UX-focused," Design education programs...calling them "scams." Having graduated from such a program (NYU Interactive Telecommunications Program), albeit 10 years ago, I feel obligated to challenge some of the accusations made. Why? My education and degree have opened many doors and provided many career opportunities for me. At the start of my career, it gave employers confidence that I could learn about Technology and had a general familiarity with the medium. That credibility, alone, was worth the considerable price of admission. Employers took chances with me, and eventually, I honed my skills under the mentorship of various subject matter experts. That was 10 years ago, however, and much has changed. Now, digital agency employers (I'm one of them) aren't as quick to hire because we have higher expectations with respect to contemporary skill-sets. Of course, the industry has evolved. Andy's conclusion, I believe, is that "Web Design" programs' failure to adapt to the constantly evolving industry, will never prepare students for the issues, tools, and methods faced on a day-to-day basis in a contemporary digital agency. 

The following, are some of Andy's accusations:  

Web Designers, who are graduates of such programs, are taught to be "tool jockeys"- The legendary, well-respected founder of New York University's Interactive Telecommunications Program, Red Burns,  proclaimed to my first-year class, "You won't learn how to use software. We will teach you how to learn." While that proclamation instantly resonated with everyone in my class, it did nothing to calm the anxiety I had about software (i.e. - my ability to learn how to use common tools). In fact, we were "taught how to learn," AND we learned how to use software. The value of learning software, even after the software becomes extinct, is that it increases the student's level of confidence with Technology, in general. The more the student feels comfortable using software to manipulate the medium (any relevant software), the more he/she will think of software as a mere platform and tool to shape ideas and concepts.  Confidence is important.

Most graduates of "UX Design Education Programs" are "unemployable"- In his experience as a hiring manager, Andy states that he has only come across one employable candidate, who was a recent graduate from a UX Design education program. It is unclear to me, what he means by this statistic. Is it one out of 200 recent graduates or one out of 200 total job candidates? I guess it doesn't matter. His point is that the percentage is low. From my perspective, as a hiring manager, a graduate from a relevant program needs on the job experience, but should "get up to speed" rather quickly. I expect that this type of candidate would have a solid foundation with relevant tools, but, more importantly, relevant methods and theory.

In my opinion, digital agencies need more formally trained employees (with a degree in UX). Why? Everyone thinks they understand "Interactive." However, the industry is filled with self-proclaimed "subject matter experts" who are hacking their way through it. They then teach erroneous methods to employees and give erroneous advice to clients. Essentially, the background education should give the employee a "historical frame of reference," while the "on the job" training should give the employee the contemporary skills and knowledge to be credible, and competent, in the field. 

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Really great response, I'm glad you took the time to write it.

As a current student at a university that teaches user-centered design vs. Dreamweaver, I can't disagree more with Rutledge's rant. He should have checked the facts and really looked at what today's colleges and universities are teaching.